Monday, January 7, 2008

Welcome to my recipe book :)

I love food. Love eating and love cooking. Growing our own food matters to me; somehow it connects me to the earth, pulls me back to the soil. Stops me from floating away and becoming lost entirely.

This is a place to store the recipes we use, those we find, and to record the moments of discovery or rediscovery. Sometimes those moments are as simple as tomatoes for breakfast; the richness of homegrown cherry tomatoes bursting in your mouth, alongside hoummus and toast; or the tart caramel deliciousness of grilled grosse lisse tomatoes with bacon and rocket.

I love the process of food, the sharing and appreciating. It connects me to my children, my old friends and new friends, and to the generations of people before me. The history of recipes and the stories surrounding cooking intrigues me.

One of the most beautiful things in my kitchen is my grandma's sifter. She doesn't remember when it was aquired, too long ago. Knowing that her hands held it for so many years and knowing that my hands touch where hers have been is something wonderful.

No comments: